RRT Handing out Refreshments

On Saturday, October 29, 2016, Rapid Relief Team of Des Moines was privileged to assist with the 25th annual Susan G Komen foundation 5K walk/run for the cure.  There were more than 6,500 participants.  This event raised a grand total of $146,194.34 which is used to fund breast cancer screening, treatment and awareness programs that help detect cancer in the early stages and save lives.

Participant dressed in costume for the walk

This race began at the State of Iowa Capitol Grounds where there was a breakfast, parade and photos for survivors.  RRT volunteers set up and hosted rest stop tents where they distributed donated food and water.  They also helped with the registration process on the day and assisted in the clean up after the event was completed.

Signing the Warrior Banner

 

Warriors in Pink, Race to Cure Advertising Vehicle

Children from ages 2 – 10 were encouraged to participate in age appropriate categories as well.  Each youngster was charged a $15 registration fee and received an event t-shirt.  There was activities for the kids on the day of the race such as face painting, temporary tattoos, balloon animals, coloring stations and mascots from various local sports teams.

RRT Volunteers serving fresh fruit

 

RRT Assisting with preparing a meal

This race not only raises money but it raises awareness, honors those who have lost their battle with the disease and brings survivors and supporters together.  One in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer.  In 1980, the survival rate was about 74 percent with patients diagnosed with early stage breast cancer.  Today, the survival rate has risen to 99 percent.

RRT Handing out waters to runners when coming at the finish line

 

Runners about to cross the line

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is the largest and most successful fundraising and education event for breast cancer in the world.   Of the income collected 75% is to help fund local programs the other 25% supports the Susan G. Komen Grants program.  Their mission is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.

A rose for the warriors

 

Rapid Relief Teams Water Station

 

Related Articles

Community | Compassion | Support

Help us make a difference

Contribute through monthly or one-off donations and support the Rapid Relief Team’s work across America